[PLUG-TALK] Covid-19 ... [2]

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Mar 8 16:11:14 UTC 2021

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021, Denis Heidtmann wrote:

> Someone I know went from Portland to Lincoln City to get his shot,
> since he was told that people in Lincoln City are not eager to get
> the vaccine. They have lots of openings.

Before anyone dismisses this as partisan political posturing, it's
worth remembering that Lincoln County is one of the poorest counties
in Oregon, with a poverty rate near 20%. The school district there
deals with double-digit homeless rate among its students. Its
wealthier residents tend to travel to Portland or other Willamette
Valley cities for medical care. The hospitals in Lincoln City and
Newport are very small and have limited outreach to the community.

In other words, a large percentage of Lincoln County's population has
little interaction with the medical community; poverty and transiency
have that effect.

The county may lean conservative, and I would not be surprised that
plays a role, but I guess I worry about knee-jerk condescension
becoming part of the discussion.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com