[PLUG-TALK] Covid-19 ... [2]

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Mar 8 17:26:13 UTC 2021

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021, james at bertelson.me wrote:

> On 2021-03-08 11:11, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>> In other words, a large percentage of Lincoln County's population has
>> little interaction with the medical community; poverty and transiency
>> have that effect.
>>
>> The county may lean conservative, and I would not be surprised that
>> plays a role, but I guess I worry about knee-jerk condescension
>> becoming part of the discussion.
>
> The tacit implication here is that knee-jerk condescension based on their
> political ideology is okay while the same based on their economic strata is
> not.

Political ideology per se is neither good nor bad. At its best, it's
an authentic expression of our personal priorities and how to enact
them.

These days, however, when political ideology interacts with medical
technology, the motivator is less often authentic self-expression and
more often a thoughtless tribalism that willingly follows convenient
disinformation.

I'll admit to being far more patient with people whose real-world
social history have undermined institutional trust than with those who
cannot be bothered by science because it's tribally inconvenient.

Call that "knee-jerk condescension" if you will. The name calling
doesn't bother me.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com