[PLUG-TALK] Fwd: Lawn weeding robots

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun May 23 21:38:50 UTC 2021

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 09:33:29AM -0500, Bill Barry wrote:
> It is typical farm equipment and is truly expensive, but there is no
> reason you could not build something similar for your yard, or better
> yet your garden.

Given enough time, I could build an aircraft carrier.

It takes a few hours per week to yank out weeds with a
weeding stick, which is more time than I want to devote
to weeding.  Mowing half a tonne of grass per month into
compost already takes too much time.

My wife does not like the "pave the yard with concrete and
paint it green" option, nor does she have enough time to
tend half-an-acre of vegetable and flower gardens, which
I would prefer instead of grass.

I'd also prefer a yard full of 100+foot doug firs, but one
of our neighbors (from Kansas) is frightened of the seven
we already have.

A weed-zapping robot (grab stem and leaves, add kilowatts,
bake the root) is my imaginary ideal.  A weed-zapping wife
is an amusing alternative, but I prefer the wife I married.

We considered free-range rabbits, but they would need to
breed faster than the neighborhood coyotes can eat them.
We sometimes find the remains of neighborhood cats in our
yard.  A good reason to keep the coyotes around, IMHO.

Perhaps a robot cage with an open bottom, shielding rabbits
while it slowly traverses the yard, would be an automated
cat-and-coyote-resistant version of Rich Shepard's Illinois
cage.  Bionic bunnies!

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com