[PLUG-TALK] New phone is a PITA

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Mon May 31 19:29:21 UTC 2021

On Mon, 31 May 2021 11:05:16 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>On Mon, 31 May 2021, Bill Barry wrote:
>
>> Locking the phone so you can't uninstall their crappy apps is
>> definitely not nice. There are still a few phones that can be
>> unlocked. The Pixel is one of them. I bought a Motorola X4 via
>> Google Fi and it can be unlocked.
>
>The Nokia 5.1 and 6.1 Android One phones are unlocked. I've deleted
>some of the default apps and ignore the rest.

Oh, my new Note 20 is factory 'unlocked' - which means that I am free
to use a SIM card for any carrier. 'Unlocked' is not the same as
'rooted.' 'Rooted' means that I have root privileges, as when I am # on
Linux. I think you meant to say 'rooted,' not 'unlocked.'

Changing the topic a bit, today my new Note popped up a message that
there is a software update available, and it was going to install it
via wifi at 2am tonight. I can't find any way to turn it off. I can
re-schedule the update, but the scheduling window has no date option -
I can only choose the hour. Looking online there is no way to turn it
off. When you buy a Note 20, you automatically agree to let
Google/Samsung alter your operating system, and you will like it. Or
else.

I might not mind the auto-update, except that it will undoubtedly
re-install Spotify, Linkedin, Youtube, Y-T Music, Samsung Pay, and a
dozen more that it took me a lot of work to get rid of.

Gawd, we need a real open source OS that we can install on any phone.