[PLUG-TALK] New phone is a PITA

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Mon May 31 21:52:10 UTC 2021

On Mon, 31 May 2021 13:02:00 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>On Mon, 31 May 2021, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
>> I might not mind the auto-update, except that it will undoubtedly
>> re-install Spotify, Linkedin, Youtube, Y-T Music, Samsung Pay, and a
>> dozen more that it took me a lot of work to get rid of.

>What's the downside of just ignoring those icons? Your description of
>the memory and storage so space shouldn't be an issue.

Most of them have in-app ads, and I don't trust them not to order
something. There are too many settings, and it's too easy for an app to
hoodwink you into giving them permission for things. Of course, I
haven't deliberately given financial data to any app, but I did add
apps for three financial institutions, plus PayPal has my credit card
number. Of course, these things are all secure. Riiight. Even something
like Spotify or Linkedin might suddenly create an account for me, and
the next thing I know it's been hacked and homeland security is after
me for terrorist threats. No thanks. The most secure app is one that is
not installed.

OK, color me paranoid if you like, but I don't want to be a victim of
the next cyber attack that we'll read about in the news.

And I don't think I have a problem with storage space, but right now
Android and all the installed apps are taking 30GB of the 128GB that
the phone came with, and you can't add more internally (only one SIM
slot), so I might have to stick a USB stick on it. I have 70GB of music
that I haven't added yet because I don't have a USB-C flash drive or
USB-C to USB3.0 cable (both ordered today).