[PLUG-TALK] New phone is a PITA

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon May 31 22:22:38 UTC 2021

On Mon, 31 May 2021, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> Most of them have in-app ads, and I don't trust them not to order
> something. There are too many settings, and it's too easy for an app to
> hoodwink you into giving them permission for things. Of course, I haven't
> deliberately given financial data to any app, but I did add apps for three
> financial institutions, plus PayPal has my credit card number. Of course,
> these things are all secure. Riiight. Even something like Spotify or
> Linkedin might suddenly create an account for me, and the next thing I
> know it's been hacked and homeland security is after me for terrorist
> threats. No thanks. The most secure app is one that is not installed.

John,

Wait a minute. If you don't open any of those apps how could they do
anything you don't want to do?

Your desktop and laptop hosts have applications installed that you don't
use. Right? If you don't open them they cannot display an add, take over
your bank accounts, or send you unwanted product. Why would your phone act
any differently?

My system has a gazillion KDE applications on it because they come with the
distribution. I've never used any of them so I've no worries that they'll do
something unpleasant. My Nokia 6.1 has all sorts of Google apps but I use
none of them so I don't see any ads or have them try to take over my life.

Go grill some dinner and ignore the apps on your phone. And, ...

Stay healthy,