[PLUG-TALK] most common language spoken at home other than English or Spanish

David Mandel dmandel at davidmandel.com
Sun Oct 17 11:47:46 PDT 2021

I used to work with a lot of Vietnamese Americans, so I attended quite a
few Vietnamese weddings.  They were great.

As a Catholic, I'm sort of used to attending church services where you
don't understand everything.  Mass was still in Latin when I was young.
Had to learn a bit of it to be an altar boy.  When I lived in Malaysia in
my Peace Corps days I usually attended Sunday Mass at the cathedral in
Kuala Lumpur where Mass was in English, but anytime I got off schedule I
would attend a nearby parish where Mass was in Chinese.  The truth is I
wasn't even sure if they were speaking Mandarin or Cantonese.  Both
dialects are used in Kuala Lumpur.  My son and his family live in Denver.
Their local parish (All Saints) has Sunday Mass in Vietnamese, Hmong,
Spanish, English, and bilingual.  Due to scheduling, I usually attend the
bilingual Mass.  My parish in Corvallis is primarily English, but we do
have one Mass in Spanish every week and our priests all come
from Argentina.

David Mandel