[PLUG] rpmdrake question..

Nathan Meyers nmeyers at javalinux.net
Mon Apr 1 14:32:58 UTC 2002

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 10:10:58PM -0800, Brent Rieck wrote:
> Hello,
>   I just installed Mandrake 8.2 on my laptop (nice install BTW, since I
> have no CD rom on it (it's a mini-laptop) I used the single floppy
> network install, Everything Just Worked(tm)).  I've been trying add ftp
> and http sources to rpmdrake's list of available sources and have had no
> luck doing so - it never seems to accept my entries, no combinations of
> urls and relative paths to hdlist.cz will work, it always fails with a
> dialog box with the message "An error occured when adding this source.",
> and I can't seem to get a more descriptive error.
>
> Have any of the Mandrake users out there encountered this and gotten
> rpmdrake to accept more sources?  Or know how to get rpmdrake to show
> more errors?

Hi Brent,

I've managed to get ftp and http sources added, after a bit of fumbling.
(BTW, the same sources you set up with rpmdrake are also used for the
urpmi tool, which does auto-dependency stuff and generally makes it
about as easy to load packages as APT does for Debian.)

I've found that specifying the path to the directory containing the RPMs
themselves does the trick. Here's a working example from my 8.1 system:

  hdlist: ../base/hdlist.cz

I haven't spent much time on 8.2 yet, but it looks like that version of
rpmdrake no longer provides a default value for hdlist - I'm not sure
I'd ever have figured this thing out without that helpful head start in
earlier versions.

Nathan