[PLUG] security?

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Apr 2 22:29:57 UTC 2002

On 2 Apr 2002, Zot O'Connor wrote:
> > Bruce Kingsland wrote:
> > I had a redhat7.2 system behind a firewall with only ports 80, 20, 21,
> > 22 open on Wednesday, running fine. Today, there are only 8MB of files
> > left on the 9GB system. A df last week showed about 30% used. The
> > journal files are still there, but not much else. fsck shows clean.
>
> run "du -s /xxxx"  where xxxx is a directory off of root "/"
>
> Do this for each dir off of root.  It will tell you where the 8Gb is.

Um, you SHOULD be able to do this instead:  `du -xms /*|sort -n`

That will do all of the subdirectories off of / without crossing
filesystem boundaries and just give you totals, in megabytes, for each
subtree.

But I just tried it and -x doesn't seem to do what I thought it should do.

For example /home is an NFS mount, but du -xms /* still attempted to
descend /home.

Does that seem right to anyone?

J.
--