[PLUG] security?

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Wed Apr 3 00:09:46 UTC 2002

> Um, you SHOULD be able to do this instead:  `du -xms /*|sort -n`
>
> That will do all of the subdirectories off of / without crossing
> filesystem boundaries and just give you totals, in megabytes, for each
> subtree.
>
> But I just tried it and -x doesn't seem to do what I thought it should do.
>
> For example /home is an NFS mount, but du -xms /* still attempted to
> descend /home.

I think by using /*, you just passed du a bunch of names, each on which
it should not descend.  How about 'du -xms /'?  That works here.
In my case it's not too useful, as I have many separate partitions.  I'm
afraid manually excluding unwanted partitions may be the only practical
option with du.  i.e.  du -xms --exclude=proc --exclude=mnt /*

galen