[PLUG] Problems Booting from HD

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 3 02:14:22 UTC 2002

I have a Mandrake 8.1 installation that boots only
from a floppy. There is no boot selector now
installed--the computer boots straight into Windows if
it doesn't find a boot disk for another OS.

Since the Mandrake installation is at about 5700
cylinders, GRUB would probably be the better choice
for a boot loader. There is a boot partition at
/dev/hda2 and a root partition at /dev/hda3. I also
find a file, /boot/grub/menu.lst containing the
following:

title linux
kernel (hd0,1}/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 hdc=ide-scsi
devfs=mount
initrd (hd0,1)/initrd.img

The command /usr/sbin/grub brings up a prompt,
grub>

and there seem to be lots of things you can do. In my
case, the boot loader itself is not even installed!

BTW, those who have Abiword installed from an .rpm and
are complaining about the ugly fonts might take note
of my experience. If you get rid of the .rpm and
install it from a tarball, it will complain about not
being able to install its fonts. But if you dismiss
this screen by clicking on "OK," you can still use
Abiword.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"SAMBA--opening Windows to a wider world."