[PLUG] patents and GPL software

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Apr 4 00:20:16 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Dean" == Dean S Messing <deanm at sharplabs.com> writes:

Dean> Question: if I add patented technology to a GPL project and
Dean> release such under the GPL, is it true that I relinquish my
Dean> rights to charge a royalty for that patented technology?

Dean> ¶ 2b of the GPL seems to indicate this, but I'm not a lawyer.

Dean> I would appreciate responses only from those who actually _know_
Dean> the answer.  I don't want to start a big speculative meta-legal
Dean> discussion.

I'd suggest that if you want an accurate answer and not a lot of idle
wild-assed speculation and hearsay, you probably need to consult a
competent attorney (how's that for a wild-assed guess?).

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr at aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible