[PLUG] Device name /dev/scd0

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at pdxlinux.org
Thu Apr 4 17:02:20 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-04-04 at 00:36, Robert Kopp wrote:
> I'm having trouble playing CD's because the software
> is looking for a device called /dev/cdrom. This
> doesn't appear anywhere on my system: /etc/fstab
> refers to my CD-RW as /dev/scd0. Could I rename it in
> /etc/fstab, or is there some other solution?

FYI: The "scd" device names are considered deprecated in favor of naming
them with "sr".  If you build your kernel with "devfs", have it mount
that at boot, and IMPORTANT run the "devfsd", you'll find them by that
name, and devfs will create "/dev/cdroms/" with a link to each CD device
inside there.