[PLUG] ORS and spam - success rate of "remove" options in spam

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Apr 5 21:04:14 UTC 2002

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Ben Murray wrote:

> Here is a story that was posted today on Wired News with some information
> relevant to the discussion:
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/ebiz/0,1272,51517,00.html

Ben,

  About what I would have expected. But, I'm trying something a little
different.

  Although I'm not a lawyer -- and won't play one on TV, either -- I decided
that ORS 646.872 probably applies to e-mail as well as paper facsimile
transmissions. After all, we're not getting the original message, but a
digitally transmitted copy sent over telphone lines. Regardless of whether
the recipient (me, in this case) sees the message on a piece of paper coming
out of the fax machine or an e-mail in pine, the delivered copy is a
facsimile of the original.

  So, I'm sending the details of the ORS (including the potential for fines
and penalties up to $25,000 per incident and costs of investigation) along
with the spamcop reports. I let them know, too, that one more UCE and I turn
loose my corporate attorney and the state's Attorney General's office. We'll
see what happens. :-)