[PLUG] Samba newbie smbstatus problem

Rick Konold cccs at teleport.com
Sun Apr 7 05:31:03 UTC 2002

On Saturday 06 April 2002 20:08, you hammered the keyboard to write:
> I finally bought the "Samba for Dummies" book today as the resources on the
> web assume I have a degree in networking (in which case I wouldn't need the
> them -c22).  So finally I am geting somewhere...well...
>
> Samba appears to my newbie understanding to be up and running now, but if I
> type " smbstatus "  it says:

It has been a while since I set up Samba, but I think you have to type smbd
and nmbd at the command line to start Samba.  You may have to use /sbin/smbd
and /sbin/nmbd if it is not in your path.  If you have not added it to your
init scripts to start automatically, you will have to do it each time you
boot the machine.

> Failed to open byte range locking database
> ERROR: Failed to initialise locking database
> Can't initialise locking module - exiting
>
> Now what to I do?

I don't know what that error is, I have never seen it.  You might try it on
google.com to see if it gives you any answers

> Also, is there any way to cut and paste text from the shell window to knode
> or a word processor so I don't have to type all my error messages?

With many terminals you just highlight the text with your left mouse button,
then go to an editor and click with the third button if you have one, or with
both the left and right buttons simultaneously.  that should paste the text
into an editor.