[PLUG] Samba newbie smbstatus problem

Rick Konold cccs at teleport.com
Sun Apr 7 05:52:06 UTC 2002

On Saturday 06 April 2002 20:08, you hammered the keyboard to write:
> I finally bought the "Samba for Dummies" book today as the resources on the
> web assume I have a degree in networking (in which case I wouldn't need the
> them -c22).  So finally I am geting somewhere...well...
>
> Samba appears to my newbie understanding to be up and running now, but if I
> type " smbstatus "  it says:
>
> Failed to open byte range locking database
> ERROR: Failed to initialise locking database
> Can't initialise locking module - exiting

I took a look at the smbstatus command, and it appears to only tell you what
ACTIVE connections you have.  If you are not connected via smbclient to some
directory on the other end, it will not be doing any file locking, and will
not report any active user.  This may explain your error if you are just
checking smbstatus without any active client connected.