[PLUG] vinum size on disk

Mark McConnell mkmcconn at teleport.com
Mon Apr 8 21:26:40 UTC 2002

Since February, I've been experimenting with FreeBSD's volume manager, called vinum.
http://www.vinumvm.org/

When I create files on this volume, and share it to a Samba network, I've found that Windows 2000 reports a very large discrepency between the size of the file and the size on the disk.

For example:
Size:                          273 KB (280,542 bytes)
Size on disk:               8.00 MB (8,388,608 bytes)

I don't know where that "8.00 MB" comes from.  I can't find a similar number looking at the same file from the localhost.

I've created several different configurations.  And, I've observed the same issue under each type of organization. The figures above are what I see when reading a file on a 375GB RAID5 volume, constructed from four 115 GB
IDE drives, on a Promise Ultra100 TX2 card,  mounted for sharing on a Samba network.  Currently Running FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE

Windows 2000 does not have similar problems when reading Samba shares to normal volumes.

What am I looking at?  Is this a problem with Windows 2000?  Have I set up my vinum volume incorrectly?

Below are my file system preferences.  Have I mis-set something?

tunefs: soft updates:  (-n)                                enabled
tunefs: maximum contiguous block count: (-a)               15
tunefs: rotational delay between contiguous blocks: (-d)   0 ms
tunefs: maximum blocks per file in a cylinder group: (-e)  2048
tunefs: average file size: (-f)                            16384
tunefs: average number of files in a directory: (-s)       64
tunefs: minimum percentage of free space: (-m)             8%
tunefs: optimization preference: (-o)                      time

Can I safely ignore this?

Mark McConnell