*****SPAM***** Re: [PLUG] ADV:Harvest lots of Target Email address quickly

Steve Beattie steve at wirex.net
Mon Apr 8 23:38:34 UTC 2002

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 03:51:28PM -0700, Don Buchholz wrote:
> SPAM: -------------------- Start SpamAssassin results ----------------------
> SPAM: This mail is probably spam.  The original message has been altered
> SPAM: so you can recognise or block similar unwanted mail in future.
> SPAM: See http://spamassassin.org/tag/ for more details.
> SPAM:
> SPAM: Content analysis details:   (16.5 hits, 5 required)
> SPAM: Hit! (0.7 points)  Subject: contains advertising tag
> SPAM: Hit! (5.4 points)  BODY: Claims auto-email removal
> SPAM: Hit! (5.5 points)  BODY: Claims to be legitimate email
> SPAM: Hit! (4.9 points)  BODY: URL of CGI script called "remove"
> SPAM:
> SPAM: -------------------- End of SpamAssassin results ---------------------
>

> Perhaps the list manager can block messages where the subject
> begins with "ADV"?

If we really must rehash anti-spam techniques, can we please not quote
the message. Don, because your client did not include a valid
in-repy-to header, spam-assassin tagged your message (as well as the
original) as spam, which procmail dumps in a (gzipped[1]) mailbox that I
skim very infrequently.

I highly recommend spam-assassin, it significantly reduces my spam load
and its false positive rate is pretty infrequent (though I had to do a
little fine-tuning to the scoring). It can also be tied in to Vipul's
razor, which I have no experience using.

Making the list open to posting from subscribers-only is another way to
cut down on spam to the list -- mailman will hold mail from
non-subscribers for list-owner approval.

[1] The relevent procmail action is "| gzip >> spam.gz". Yes, mutiply
    appended gzipped archives result in a valid gzip file, and
    furthermore, mutt (with the compressed folders patch) will
    read/write a gzipped mailbox just fine, if a little more slowly.

--
Steve Beattie                               Don't trust programmers?
<steve at wirex.net>                         Complete StackGuard distro at