[PLUG] Kernel Module Question

Craighead, Scot D craighead.scot at vectorscm.com
Tue Apr 9 00:10:20 UTC 2002

I have been trying to solve a problem I have with the sound driver on my
Redhat 7.2 PC.  A search led me to this link:

http://starwave.smartdesk.net/www/MrGreg/sound.html

I have kernel source and headers installed from rpm from the OS install.  I
have updated the source code for the module from the link as it said on the
note.txt file.  The kernel I am using is the one that was installed by the
OS install and there is no .config file.  If I understand the documents
correctly, I can get the same .config as the kernel I have installed by
typing make oldconfig.  Is that correct?  If I then skip the kernel install
and run make modules and make modules_install, run depmod -a, then reboot, I
should be using the updated sound driver, correct?  Is there any chance that
I will screw up other modules needed and have an unstable or unbootable
system?