[PLUG] Hardware Test Suite

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Tue Apr 9 19:20:59 UTC 2002

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Christian Brink wrote:

> I'm trying to track down a strange hardware error on my L440GX+
> (Lancewood with a single processor). It randomly locks with no
> messages in the log files or console messages. I have verified the
> SCSI chain and swapped memory. I am booting the SMP kernel. There is
> no way (in the BIOS at least) to disable the CPU onboard cache or the
> L2 Cache. It is running RH7.2 all up2date.
>
> Has anyone had a similar problem, or does anyone know of a good
> hardware test suite I can run?

Does it lock up only when running X, or just whenever? If only when
running X, have you tried swapping video cards?

Sometimes a memory swap doesn't rule out all memory-related issues
(e.g., dust in the DIMM slot). You might try memtest86:

  http://www.teresaudio.com/memtest86/

Power and heat issues are much tougher to track down, esp. if the
problem arises from motherboard circuitry...

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>