[PLUG] HP Pavilion n5135 locks up in X-Windows - Help :)

Michael Smith codeyeti at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 10 05:56:33 UTC 2002

The only problem that I've had with X killing the system was with a Matrox
Mellinium that didn't recognize the right amount of video memory, usually right
after I started to put it on a high graphics load (running a couple of windows
and mozilla should do nicely) that took about 10 minutes after X started up.
If you're using X v4.x, have a look-see at /var/log/X* and go to the point
where the server says how much memory it found.  If it's not getting the right
stuff, then you have to explicitly state it in the /etc/XFree86.conf.