[PLUG] Put an End to Word Attachments

Dave dave at pakled.mmcc.cx
Wed Apr 10 00:38:31 PDT 2002

My initial reaction to seeing 'Attachments bleh.doc (application/x-msword)' is
annoyance.  But you know what?  I figure anyone sending me a word document is
sending me some information I really want (.. or infected with ILOVEYOU or
spinoff ..).  So instead of placing any real weight on what RMS says with
regard to zealotry, I visit freshmeat and do a quick search.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/antiword/

These sorts of things I consider far, far better for the open-source community
that stubborn refusal to play nice with others.  Sure, in the realm of MS Word
documents, it puts the open source community 'one step behind'.  But then, how
many windows-based tools for (La)TeX do you see?  We've got our hard-to-
implement standards, windows has theirs.  In a perfect world, we'd all be using
CSS and XML for everything. ;)

-Dave