[PLUG] Put an End to Word Attachments

Harvey Smythe hsmythe at mmresources.com
Wed Apr 10 14:49:41 UTC 2002

Get a life.

Harv

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin at lists.pdxlinux.org [mailto:plug-admin at lists.pdxlinux.org]On
Behalf Of Tyler F. Creelan
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 11:11 PM
To: plug at lists.pdxlinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] Put an End to Word Attachments

> I intend to use it only to read winWord docs sent
> to me and to work with templates created in winWord.

Please do not accept word documents if they are emailed to you!

It is possible to work around this inconvenience, but you would do the
free software community, Mac Users, WordPerfect Users and everyone
non-Microsft a big favor by rejecting them! For example, see what Stallman
writes at:

Personally I send out the message below. I used to worry about whether
this was impolite or not, but then I realized it was far more impolite
to let people continue sending word attachments without being aware of the
issues. Yes, I've sent this to my boss, and my boss's boss, professors,
even prospective employers. I've almost always gotten a positive response.
This is a serious issue: if you can, please pitch in and reject word
attachments.

--------
You sent the attachment in Microsoft Word format, a secret proprietary
format, so I cannot read it. If you send me the document in plain
text, HTML, or PDF, then I can read it.

Sending people documents in Word format has unintended effects,
placing pressure on them to use Microsoft software. This is a major
obstacle to the broader adoption of free software. Would you please
reconsider the use of Word format for communication with other people?

Converting the file to HTML is simple. Open the document, click on
"File", then "Save As", and in the "Save As Type" box choose "HTML
Document".  Then choose "Save". You may then attach the new HTML
document instead of a Word document.

Thanks!

--------

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Mark Morgan wrote:
>
> > I did run it and found it slower than the 6.0 beta with fewer fonts, but
> > I haven't played with it that much.  I'm still not sure.
>
> Mark,
>
>   Thanks for the insight. I intend to use it only to read winWord docs
sent
> to me and to work with templates created in winWord. It (and StarOffice)
are