[PLUG] OpenOffice-641

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Apr 10 18:01:55 UTC 2002

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Geoff Burling wrote:

> [*] I'm not interested in hearing any arguments on the merits of complying or
> refusing to comply with obviously braindead instructions from the folks who
> sign our paychecks. If a PHB wants the report in MSWord, fine he'll get
> MSWord. But I'm betting that after a while when people wonder why I can
> produce these MSWord reports quicker & more expertly using this ideologically
> tainted work-around, it will serve to convert them from the darkness of
> using MS solutions for everything to actually evaluating the best solution
> for each individual problem.

  As I put the finishing touches on a permit application in SO-5.2 I am
again reminded why I so dislike GUI word processors: the stupid software
(better yet, the coders) think that they're smarter than I am. I'm entering
site location in lat/lon, and SO insists on using an inverted, open
apostrophy for the minutes symbol (') instead of a simple, closing
apostrophe. It uses no context checking, but it insists on doing things its
way. 99% of the time, that's *not* what I want, need or intend. But, I
cannot change it.

  There are many components to productivity. I've yet to find any in Windows
products. But, that may be because I don't work in them all day, every day.

} /* rant */