[PLUG] Hostname

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 10 21:09:52 UTC 2002

What appeared to be a printing problem with Red Hat
("Skipjack") seems to involve hostname assignment.
Anyhow, my hostname is apparently "dhcppc2," although
I didn't order it. Thus,

root at dhcppc2 root>

I use a DSL router, which supplies IP addresses by
DHCP--perhaps that's why this name was assigned.If you
check "DHCP" during installation of Red Hat, all other
options are grayed out, unlike some other
distributions which still allow you to assign a
hostname of your choice.

Elsewhere, however, (/etc/hosts,
/etc/sysconfig/network) the system is still known as
localhost.localdomain.

How's Samba? I was getting around to that. It almost
makes it

Sharename        Type       Comment
---------        ----       --------
IPC$             IPC        IPC Service (Samba server)
ADMIN$           Disk       IPC Service (Samba server)
Canon            Printer    lp

Server           Comment
------           -------
DHCPPC2          Samba server

Workgroup        Master
---------        ------
MSHOME

On the Windows computer's Network Places, "dhcppc2" is
there. However, when I click on it, there's a warning
that it is not accessible.

It's hard to imagine a name uglier than "dhcppc2," but
I am willing to go with it if it would solve the
problem (for example, by changing the hostname in
/etc/sysconfig/network). But I thought I'd ask for
advice before doing such dramatic things.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"SAMBA--opening Windows to a wider world."