[PLUG] Red Hat 7.1 hijacked my printer...

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Thu Apr 11 00:49:00 UTC 2002

Stuart Mathews wrote:

> I was simply trying to print a 42-page document from a downloaded
> PDF file, 7 pages at a time (my HP Deskjet 600C needs to be
> spoon-fed larger jobs).   For some reason, I was unable to print
> beyond page 13 of that document.  When I selected pages 14 - 21
> in the Print Range from the print menu of Acrobat Reader, my
> printer would spit out pages 1 through 7 again.

I have this printer, too, and while I don't use it very often, it hasn't
barfed the way yours did.  It's connected to a RH 7.0 box.

Try using xpdf instead of Acrobat.  I always forget to load the paraport_pc
module, but I believe the printer does nothing in that case.

Check /var/spool/lpd/lp/status.lp for any clues.  (Substitute your printer
name for `lp` if different.)

This is my /etc/printcap
##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL cdj550 300x300 letter {} DeskJet550 3 1
lp:\
         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
         :mx#0:\
         :lp=/dev/lp0:\