[PLUG] Package upgrades

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Apr 12 02:19:23 UTC 2002

  OK. I made the soft links from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib/ and
everything's built and installed just fine. Until I get to sendmail itself.
When I try to freshen the existing installation, I see:

[root at salmo rshepard]# rpm -Fvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/sendmail-*
error: failed dependencies:
        /usr/sbin/alternatives   is needed by sendmail-8.11.6-15
        chkconfig >= 1.3 is needed by sendmail-8.11.6-15
        bash >= 2.0 is needed by sendmail-8.11.6-15

  I've no idea what /usr/sbin/alternatives is or where to find it. I suppose
that I can upgrade chkconfig easily enough, but ... can I install bash-2.0
in addition to my existing bash-1.14.7-23.6x? Or, will anything break if I
upgrade from 1.14 to 2.0? As bash is so fundamental to the system I need to
understand what I'm doing before doing it. If there are pointers to docs for
me to read, please pass me a pointer to them.

Thanks,