[PLUG] ripping from cd ?

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Fri Apr 12 07:50:52 UTC 2002

Dave wrote:

> If I recall correctly (it's been some time since I used cdparanoia), you need
> to open up the cdrom device completely for cdparanoia to work.  Ie, 'chmod
> 777 /dev/cdrom'  I may be lying or blowing things out of my anterior end, but
> hey.

You'd think that'd work

$ cdparanoia 4
/dev/cdrom exists but isn't accessible.  By default,
cdparanoia stops searching for an accessible drive here.
Consider using -s to force a more complete autosense
of the machine.

More information about /dev/cdrom:
Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
         Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
                 /dev/scd1 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
         Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
                 No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/scd1

$ ls -la /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Mar  6  2001 /dev/cdrom -> scd1

$ ls -la /dev/scd1
brwxrwxrwx    1 kyle     kyle      11,   1 Aug 24  2000 /dev/scd1

$ cdparanoia -s 4
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

blech!

>>Q1: any problem combining wavs and mp3s on a cd to be played on a
>>non-computerized cd player?

> Assuming the device you're sticking the disc in knows how to tell the
> difference between a .wav and an mp3, there should be no problem.  Realisticly,
> your device (like say, a car CD MP3 player) likes to have all mp3s or a plain
> redbook audio disc.

I decided to fill the cd with mp3s.  Converting the .wavs saved tons of
space, and while my ears may not be Golden (TM), they are good and mp3 made
the cut.

>>Q2: Any app that will burn audio cd given ax Xmms playlist (.m3u)?
>>

> None that I know of, and a quick websearch led to nothing fruitful. If you're
> feeling adventerous, you could probably set up an output plugin to decode the
> MP3s to .wav and burn them to a CD with little effort, though I've no idea how
> to go about it. ;)

I'll probably use xcdroast to order the tracks this time.

--
Cheese,
Kyle Accardi

Ps. MacTarnahan's Uncle Otto's Weissbeer is really helping.  (Since when
did Portland Brewing become MacTarnahan's anyway?)  That, and the cigarette
ashes lubricating the keyboard...