[PLUG] Odd dns behavior under redhat 7.2 and ncftp

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Mon Apr 15 18:02:44 UTC 2002

On 15 Apr 2002, Zot O'Connor wrote:

> ncftp -V
> NcFTP 3.0.3 (April 15, 2001) by Mike Gleason (ncftp at ncftp.com).
> ncftp> o
> ncftp> o updates.redhat.com
> Resolving
> updates.redhat.com...
> Unknown host "updates.redhat.com".

I just now tested it, but had no problems (running behind an
iptables-based firewall)

  [heinlein at billings heinlein]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
  Red Hat Linux release 7.1 (Seawolf)
  [heinlein at billings heinlein]$ ncftp -V
  NcFTP 3.0.2 (October 19, 2000) by Mike Gleason (ncftp at ncftp.com).
  ncftp> o updates.redhat.com
  Connecting to 63.240.14.70...
  Red Hat FTP server ready. All transfers are logged.

I know that Red Hat round-robins its public ftp and rsync servers; I
wonder if that's the issue. If you're using a local cacheing
nameserver, have you tried restarting it?

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>