[PLUG] ssh woes

Bruce Kingsland brucek at kingkon.com
Mon Apr 15 23:19:23 UTC 2002

Longman, Bill's Log: StarDate 0415.1545:
> > OK, I'm further confused!
> >
> > I installed ssh on my rh52 installation, and was able to ssh into my
> > other systems on my home net, and into my ISP shell account. Now that
> > I've got my rh72 install working, which has ssh as part of it's
> > install package, I can't seem to ssh into anywhere. What is different
> > in this version? The systems on my home net have always been rh72.
>
> Are you sure it's not a protocol problem? It's not clear to me exactly what
> has transpired, but my hunch is that your install now uses protocol 2
> instead of protocol 1. You may have to generate RSA keys. Again, I'm not
> clear on what happened with your rh52 > rh72 migration, so I'm just trying
> to suggest some things.
>
> What were the keys, if any, you used with rh52? Were you just using password
> authentication or did you copy the keys?

No, I'm not sure about anything. The rh72 install is on a separate
disk, not an upgrade of the existing install. I can switch back to the
rh52 anytime (at least for the near future; I plan to overwrite it
soon with an LFS experiment). The ssh keys were regenerated on the
rh72 disk, and this morning when I was shutting it down to take it to
where I get my DSL 'fix', I noticed that scp had worked for awhile,
and then stopped.

Further thot is this:

Last month I had wanted to contact drizzle.pdxlinux.org without typing
all that in every time, so I got the IP address, and put drizzle into
my /etc/hosts file; so that I could type 'ssh drizzle'. There was some
sort of problem with that, and I was advised to put the definition of
drizzle into my .ssh/options file. So, I looked up the man page on
that, and tried to configure such a file. I could find lots of things
I could do with that options file, but nothing that would allow me to
alias drizzle to the full domain name. So, I abandoned that project,
but since then, have not been able to get ssh to work.

As to the keys, I created and used all the keys available: rsa dsa and
plain. I have the identity.pub and id_rsa.pub and id_dsa.pub files,
and the correct version exist on the target machines, but I keep
getting 'connection refused' messages. The last time that the scp
command worked, it asked me for my rsa key, then it asked for my dsa
key, and then it asked for my standard login, and then it copied the
files. I think it shouldn't be asking for all the keys every time,
(only one?), but at least it allowed file transfers.

-bk
--
Bruce Kingsland
Kingsland Konsulting
brucek at kingkon.com
503-936-1655
D/2B8DA3D7 g/2884A18E  49C3 BBDE 6BC5 3F39 0C03  3BE4 FBC5 2C8D 2B8D A3D7