[PLUG] ssh woes

Longman, Bill longman at sharplabs.com
Mon Apr 15 23:44:20 UTC 2002

> No, I'm not sure about anything. The rh72 install is on a separate
> disk, not an upgrade of the existing install. I can switch back to the
> rh52 anytime (at least for the near future; I plan to overwrite it
> soon with an LFS experiment). The ssh keys were regenerated on the
> rh72 disk, and this morning when I was shutting it down to take it to
> where I get my DSL 'fix', I noticed that scp had worked for awhile,
> and then stopped.
>
> Further thot is this:
>
> Last month I had wanted to contact drizzle.pdxlinux.org without typing
> all that in every time, so I got the IP address, and put drizzle into
> my /etc/hosts file; so that I could type 'ssh drizzle'. There was some
> sort of problem with that, and I was advised to put the definition of
> drizzle into my .ssh/options file. So, I looked up the man page on
> that, and tried to configure such a file. I could find lots of things
> I could do with that options file, but nothing that would allow me to
> alias drizzle to the full domain name. So, I abandoned that project,
> but since then, have not been able to get ssh to work.
>
> As to the keys, I created and used all the keys available: rsa dsa and
> plain. I have the identity.pub and id_rsa.pub and id_dsa.pub files,
> and the correct version exist on the target machines, but I keep
> getting 'connection refused' messages. The last time that the scp
> command worked, it asked me for my rsa key, then it asked for my dsa
> key, and then it asked for my standard login, and then it copied the
> files. I think it shouldn't be asking for all the keys every time,
> (only one?), but at least it allowed file transfers.

My next question is: Is the sshd running on the target? That sure is what it
sounds like, now. Especially if the other services have died, too.

If so, you might wanna zap your .ssh/options file and start again in vanilla
mode. Or you can just remove the drizzle section if you have anything else
you really really need in there. The options file is pretty handy when you
have one machine (like I do) that is very particular (only accepts protocol
1) compared to your defaults.

And when all else fails, you can try the debug options on ssh. They work
fairly well to see where it's dying.

--
WEL