[PLUG] lockup logs

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Tue Apr 16 17:54:32 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 01:41, Bruce Kingsland wrote:
> Is there a way to discover what leads up to a lockup?
>
> One of my home systems hangs every couple weeks. I dunno why. I thot
> it was the xlock, but yesterday it hung anyway. It was in 'video idle'
> mode, and I couldn't wake it up. This is the usual failure mode.
> However, this time I ping'd the sleeping system, and it answered. But
> it wouldn't let me ssh in (which I later found it is *normal?*), or
> bring up the video.
>
> I thot of disabling the apm, in hopes of keeping the video active
> indefinitely, as perhaps a way to at least see the last state prior to
> lockup. But apm isn't running on that system. So, I dunno what causes
> the video to blank out after a few minutes.

Good idea, you should be able to disable it in the BIOS.  If that fixes
it, there may be some options available during a kernel configuration
that will fix it.  "Allow interrupts during APM call" or something like
that.  What kind of chipset does your video card have?  Maybe your
kernel has ACPI enabled, but your motherboard implementation is buggy.

Otherwise, start pulling hardware (or swapping it) until you find the
culprit.

I would start with a nice fresh kernel, compiled for your specific
hardware before looking at the hardware.

Good Luck

Derek Loree