[PLUG] Help !!

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Apr 17 18:01:56 UTC 2002

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Dirk & Karen wrote:

> That's what I thought was happening, but after trying to reconfigure the
> printer with printtool ,  I  change nothing. I seem have both lpr and cups
> ready to go with cups running at present.
>
> It is Postscript , Properties being;
> lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P'}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}
> How do I change this?

Dirk,

  With CUPS, invoke the printer setup as '/usr/sbin/printers'. Also, when I
define a printer string for an application (e.g., mozilla) I do it as 'lpr
-P<printer_name> %s'.

  When I installed CUPS I removed lpr first. Now when I try to find
'printtool' on my system this is what I see:

[rshepard at salmo ~]$ locate printtool
/usr/doc/rhl-rg-6.1en/figs/sysconfig/printtool-addlocal.gif
/usr/doc/rhl-rg-6.1en/figs/sysconfig/printtool-addremote.gif
/usr/doc/rhl-rg-6.1en/figs/sysconfig/printtool-filter.gif
/usr/doc/rhl-rg-6.1en/figs/sysconfig/printtool-ncp.gif
/usr/doc/rhl-rg-6.1en/figs/sysconfig/printtool-smb.gif
/usr/doc/rhl-rg-6.1en/figs/sysconfig/printtool-test-menu.gif
/usr/doc/rhl-rg-6.1en/figs/sysconfig/printtool-type.gif
/usr/lib/rhs/control-panel/printtool.warn

  So I suppose it's no longer available. Anyway, with the CUPS GUI printer
setup you define the printer, the device by which it's known and so on. The
CUPS documentation has all the details.

  FWIW, I paid Easy Software for their PrintPro drivers so I could get the
full benefit of the HP 2500C under linux. It does a much better job printing
from The GIMP in linux than from MapInfo in the virutal win98. For me, it is
well worth the money. But, there may be enhanced drivers freely available
for the Canon model you have. Check both the ESW and linux printing sites.

HTH,