[PLUG] lockup logs

Bruce Kingsland brucek at kingkon.com
Wed Apr 17 22:26:18 UTC 2002

Derek Loree's Log: StarDate 0416.1054:
> On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 01:41, Bruce Kingsland wrote:
> > Is there a way to discover what leads up to a lockup?
> >
> > One of my home systems hangs every couple weeks. I dunno why. I thot
> > it was the xlock, but yesterday it hung anyway. It was in 'video idle'
> > mode, and I couldn't wake it up. This is the usual failure mode.
> > However, this time I ping'd the sleeping system, and it answered. But
> > it wouldn't let me ssh in (which I later found it is *normal?*), or
> > bring up the video.
> >
> > I thot of disabling the apm, in hopes of keeping the video active
> > indefinitely, as perhaps a way to at least see the last state prior to
> > lockup. But apm isn't running on that system. So, I dunno what causes
> > the video to blank out after a few minutes.
>
> Good idea, you should be able to disable it in the BIOS.  If that fixes
> it, there may be some options available during a kernel configuration
> that will fix it.  "Allow interrupts during APM call" or something like
> that.  What kind of chipset does your video card have?  Maybe your
> kernel has ACPI enabled, but your motherboard implementation is buggy.

I always turn ALL apm features off in the BIOS. I *hate* rebooting a
machine to tweak those settings. If I want things saving energy, I'll
find a software way, or turn off the monitor.

The vid card is a Matrox Millenium II, but I don't have the manual
handy, and am not yet ready to yank hardware to fix this.

> Otherwise, start pulling hardware (or swapping it) until you find the
> culprit.
>
> I would start with a nice fresh kernel, compiled for your specific
> hardware before looking at the hardware.

What? The redhat72 kernel isn't good enough? How can that be?  ;)

compiling a fresh kernel is likely to happen soon anyway, but I've
never done that, and I'm a little nervous about making the thing
unusable. So, I'll be doing that on a less critical machine first,
until I get comfortable with it, and with the correct changes to the
grub file, etc.

> Good Luck
>
> Derek Loree

Thanx!

-bk
--
Bruce Kingsland
Kingsland Konsulting
brucek at kingkon.com
503-936-1655
D/2B8DA3D7 g/2884A18E  49C3 BBDE 6BC5 3F39 0C03  3BE4 FBC5 2C8D 2B8D A3D7