[PLUG] FreeS/WAN Info

Sean Whitney sean_whitney at bigfoot.com
Fri Apr 19 05:02:33 UTC 2002

My employer was in the middle of Chapter 7 and without funds, but needed
connectivity between offices in Vancouver, Honolulu and San Luis Obispo after
they sold off everything else to another company.

I worked with two people who did a basic debian install on two boxes in
Honolulu and SLO.  I then sshed into the remote boxes and created a freeswan
vpn between all the sites.  I set up all the specifics over the existing
corporate wan.  After the company was sold off they fired up the Freeswan
boxes.  The first night we had some problems.  Pings worked fine but
windows-goo domain syncing was failing.  After some careful looking and some
google searches I discovered that the ethernet MTU size had to be 1493 to
accommodate the vpn infrastructure.  After that it justed worked.  They never
called or reported any problems.

The other caveat to this is that all the machines where 133Mhz to 200Mhz, no
big CPUs were required.

Sean

On Thursday 18 April 2002 21:34, you hammered at the keyboard: