[PLUG] FreeS/WAN Info

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Fri Apr 19 05:12:22 UTC 2002

Also Sprach Carla Schroder <pluglist at bratgrrl.com> on Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 07:07:03PM PDT

> FreeS/WAN is most impressive. I've been looking at a lot of different
> free VPN tools, it tops my list. Of course the biggest headache is
> connecting Windows and Mac clients. Them two just don't like to play
> with the other kids.

Getting it installed can be a bit of a headache.  Unless things
have changed since I looked at it, you've got to do lots of funny
kernel compile stuff.  I read the 'list in brief' posting every
week or two, and there seems to be some talk of (finally) making it
sufficiently modular to be compiled external to the kernel, which
would be very handy.  Otherwise, it's a bit of a mess to figure
out all the left hand and right hand stuff, but it's not too bad.

> I saw an interesting free project somewheres using SSH and PGP to set
> up a VPN. Free is more attractive than usual, as pricing on commercial
> products tends towards sky-high. For example, SuSE has a VPN/firewall
> edition that lists around $1100.  For that kind of money it better
> rub my feet and wash the dishes.

I assume you mean SSH and PPP.  Yeah, it's quite easy in fact;
if you have some clues you can get one up and going in about
15 minutes.  You don't really need SuSE's special distribution;
it's not too terribly difficult to roll-your-own, but not as easy
as I'd like.  OTOH, if you've like a very easy to set up and not
very expensive solution, the SnapGear products I sell are pretty
nice and Linux+FreeS/WAN based.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
                * Linux and Network Consulting *
irc.linux.com                                     #orlug,#lnxs