[PLUG] Multiple Zone DNS

Jon Jacob jonjacobmoon at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 19 21:10:09 UTC 2002

That's is more or less what I did, but it is not working.

What I did was copy the zone file for manymoons.net replace all the
places which said manymoons.net with the new domain name.  I then added
a section to named.conf that points to the new zone file.  However, when
I do a lookup on the new domain name it does not work.

Here are my files:

named.conf:

options {
        directory "/var/named";
};
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "root.hints";
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "zone/127.0.0";
};
zone "manymoons.net" {
        type master;
        file "zone/manymoons.net";
};
zone "jonsleague.org" {
        type master;
        file "zone/jonsleague.org";
};
zone "214.170.63.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "zone/63.170.214";
};

zone/jonsleague.org:

$ttl 38400
@       IN      SOA     jonsleague.org. root.jonsleague.org. (
                        199609206       ; serial, todays date + todays
serial #
                        8H              ; refresh, seconds
                        2H              ; retry, seconds
                        4W              ; expire, seconds
                        1D )            ; minimum, seconds
@       IN      NS      jonsleague.org.
@       IN      MX      10 jonsleague.org.  ; Primary Mail Exchanger
                TXT     "Jon's League Fantasy Basketball"

localhost       A       127.0.0.1

router          A       63.170.214.66

jonsleague.org.  A       63.170.214.66
lana            A       63.170.214.66
ns              A       63.170.214.66
www             A       63.170.214.66

funn            A       63.170.214.66

Am I suppose to add something to zone/63.170.214 ?  This does work fine
for manymoons.net which I have had for awhile, but not the new one which
is jonsleague.org.

Is it possible that the registration is not complete yet?  I did this
early yesterday.  Whois does not show that it is mine, yet, but I
thought it should only take 24hrs.