[PLUG] Micro$oft at it again.

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon Apr 22 19:33:48 UTC 2002

Also Sprach Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com> on Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 12:16:19PM PDT
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Michael Smith wrote:
>
> > http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/04/22/1719218&mode=thread&tid=109
>
> Whoa. That link killed Mozilla (0.9.9), and killed it fast. Multiple
> times, too. Hmm.

The linked-to comment says:

 "This would be a perfect time for some large linux distribution
 company, or a consulting company to step in and donate time to help
 them migrate entirely to Linux. It would have to be a disruptive
 migration because of the audit in 60 days threat but they could
 do it."

And considering the size of the unemployed SIG and that volunteer
time would probably be tax-deductible (anyone know?), this would
be a use of the group's human resources.  At least, that's
fair observation from outside.

So now the question is for Paul, Eric, et al is what can be done and
what needs to be done?  Is a wholesale exorcism of Microsoft software
(not just the PCs, but the Macs too--remember, they're likely running
Office) feasible?  What can we do to organize our ranks to do this?
This could be a big score for free software and our local community,
but we'd have to be careful to not bungle it.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
                * Linux and Network Consulting *
irc.linux.com                                     #orlug,#lnxs