[PLUG] Microsoft Strong-Arms Public Schools

D. Cooper Stevenson cooper at linux-enterprise.net
Mon Apr 22 22:44:31 UTC 2002

All;

Our group received this from Tyler Creelan yesterday. You guys have MWVLUG's full support on this.

Whatever it takes.

--Cooper

----- Forwarded message from "Tyler F. Creelan" <creelan at engr.orst.edu> -----

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:27:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Tyler F. Creelan" <creelan at engr.orst.edu>
To: <lug at peak.org>
   <rasmussenm at columbiafunds.com>
Subject: [lug] MSA Audit; Corvallis School Assistance

Apparently, Microsoft has demanded a complete licensing audit from
Oregon school districts. If the schools do not complete the audit
requirements within 60 days, they must adopt a license
under which they would be charged for every computer at the school
(including iMacs, Linux pcs, etc) instead of each computer running
Microsoft software. For example, the Portland School districts must
account for over 25,000 computers within the time period. (More info
below from Michael Rasmussen, see the editoral by Steve Duin.)

In response, school district coordinators such as Eric Harrison have
developed initiatives to replace generic commericial software
with free, open-source alternatives. Such measures can sometimes fail,
however, due to a lack of available technical knowhow and guidance at the
school.

It seems we (linux users) could assist public schools by letting them
know we can help in efforts to try Open Source desktop software;
through group lists like this, email, and in person. By assuring them of
help for linux and its wide use, we can dispel some of the fear and
uncertainty school leaders might face in pursuing these otherwise
attractive solutions.

I found the following names of people from school websites we could
contact. If anyone knows of other people (computing admins, directors)
that information would help. It seems we could do this personally or, with
sufficient agreement, prepare a response from us as a group
(mid-willamette valley LUG). How does this sound? --Tyler

--------
Corvallis School District:
Duane Jager, Information Services Manager; Duane_Jager at corvallis.k12.or.us
Debra Murray, Technology Coordinator; debra_murray at corvallis.k12.or.us

Central HS:
Dennis Corliss, Computer Education; Dennis_Corliss at corvallis.k12.or.us

Crescent Valley HS:
Karen Walz, Computer Lab/Web Support; Karen_Walz at corvallis.k12.or.us
Judy Jackson, Tech Support; Judy_Jackson at corvallis.k12.or.us

------------------- Portion of letter to OR Congress Reps:
 "In the Sunday Oregonian, April 21st, columnist Steve Duin writes about
  Microsoft's marketing department threatening several Oregon School
  districts with a software audit unless they adopt a costly Microsoft
  systemwide licensing plan.  Microsoft is giving the schools 60 days to
  prove up or pay up.

  The schools are being asked to prove their innocence of copyright
  infringement on a Microsoft stipulated timetable to Microsoft stipulated
  terms.  The timetable and terms are not practical.   There is nothing to
  indicate that the employees of our school system have done anything wrong.
  The only apparent motivation for Microsoft to make this request is to
  twist the arms of the people who make the decision about adopting the
  Microsoft School Agreement." - Michael Rasmussen

Steve Duin article:
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/all_wire_stories/101386428029222529.xml

----- End forwarded message -----

Cooper Stevenson        |cooper.stevenson at wahchang.com
UNIX Administrator      |PH: (541)791-1322
Telledyne Wah Chang     |FAX: (541)924-6895