[PLUG] thanks for the HELP

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Wed Apr 24 23:15:50 UTC 2002

I thought I should update you.  It is now working.  What fixed it?  I'm
not sure.  As I was desperate to get it back in service, I did some
things, and it looks like our service provider some things at about the
same time.

AFAICT, what was happening was that the packets to the _one_ server were
being dropped by the WAN interface of my Cisco router.  Why?  I don't
know, I know I didn't change anything on the router, the access list is
exactly the same as it used to be, and a reload of the router did not
fix it.  So, I contacted our ISP, and they started a trouble ticket, but
only reluctantly, they think it is my fault (mainly because I disabled
telnet into the router, so they can't snoop on it).  This means, I have
one ip address that the WAN interface is dropping, and 31 addresses that
are making it through.

Could it be a bad NIC?  But I can connect to the box from another box on
the same subnet, going through the same switch!  Ah, the switch, maybe
that's it, so I drag out a longish cat 5 cable, string it between the
hub at the router and the server.  That killed all outside access!  (But
no collisions were detected at the hub.)  Well, that looks like
progress, but it could be a bad cable, however I have an extra NIC, and
I have nothing to lose (but uptime) by changing it.

So I changed it.  It didn't work right off the bat, but about 15 min
later, I start to notice traffic to the server again, we're back on
line!

The traceroutes have definitely changed (different number of hops,
different hop addresses), so I know our ISP made some changes too.

Which one fixed it, I don't know, but I'm willing to entertain
theories.  I still don't understand how one ip address in a block of 32
can be "bad".

Again, thanks for the help!

Derek Loree