[PLUG] Coordination and Planning

Terry Griffin griffint at pobox.com
Thu Apr 25 05:14:20 UTC 2002

Nicely put.

I think the two approaches are not entirely incompatible. In the near term,
especially if the schools don't ask for help, there may not be a lot we can
do in the way of direct support. But just to make sure....

Someone mentioned a press release. (Sorry, I've lost track of who's who
in all these e-mails.) I picture a press release in the very near future that
pledges PLUG's support of the schools in this matter and states our
willingness to help out. This press release would serve several purposes:

1. Provide contact information so that if some school districts *do* want to
get some help then at least they'll know who to call. We should not be
insulted if they don't call. Under the circumstances it seems best to let the
schools figure out how to handle the next 60 days. Besides, this is a bad
time of the school year to be overhauling the IT system. These sorts of
things are normally done over the summer. (Notice MS didn't wait until
summer to ask for the audit.)

2. Put a shot across the bow of the HMS MS (?).

3. Hopefully get it slashdotted and thereby encourage LUGs in other cites
to get involved with their local schools before this happens to them. I'd love
to see similar press releases coming out other LUGs. To me that would be the
sweetest thing that could happen in the near term.

It would be really cool if this was a joint press release from several
Northwest LUGs.

That might be all we can do in this 60-day period. Then we have to look at the
longer term where we transition from being just volunteers to being
advocates, pressing the point to decision makers that open source is their
path out from under the obnoxious monopoly from the North. Along with this
advocacy, we also have to solve the practical problem of finding a suitable
Linux application for every Windows application that is used in the schools.
This could take several years, and in fact it may be that there will always
be some percentage of Windows boxes in the schools, which is probably okay
as long as the end result is that Windows becomes an option instead of a
necessity. Then MS will have be polite.

Terry