[PLUG] Warning About SuSE 8

Doug Layne LeviSuse at attbi.com
Mon Apr 29 05:11:20 UTC 2002

Robert wrote:

> As a Linux newbie (2 years of frustration now) I decided to try the new
> SuSE 8.0 distribution.  I last tried SuSE 7.2 and found it the best Linux I
> had ever used, but gave it up for Red Hat 7.2 because I could not get it to
> work right with my network, and standard Linux commands never worked right.
> The configuration menus were a real pain too.
>
> So we arrive at today. SuSE 8.0 installed alright, easily in fact.  Weird
> though, it does not install a number of programs any newbie would normally
> use by default, so I choose them individually.  Among them Netscape 6.2, CD
> burning software, and Mozilla mail (even though Mozilla browser is there,
> by default they leave out the mail program!?).
>
> I thought I had modem installation and internet access down to a science
> now, even in Linux, but the new SuSE has proven me wrong.  In Red Hat my
> modem is found under /dev/tty/S4.  The new SuSE only goes as far as /S3 and
> even if I manually enter /S4 it will not work.  No amount of experimenting
> with settings was able to produce a recognizable modem. I went through
> every  listed setting. So no internet access.
>
> I gave up on that and decided to now try the CD burning program, but found
> it is as defective as any other Linux CD Burner program I have ever (not
> been able to) use(d). It also detected my scanner automatically, but
> whenever I click on anything to do with the scanner, nothing happens.  At
> least with Red Hat, it scans an image, lets me look at it, and then refuses
> to save it!
>
> SuSE 8.0 does have some nice new screen backrounds, but the fonts and menus
> are typical Linux at its worst or near worst. I don't feel like wasting
> time fiddling with it since it is probably the best it can ever be and I
> will probably reinstall the whole mess again hoping it might, God willing,
> detect the modem next time.
>
> Although I spent the week hating Microsoft and hoping all the school
> districts would ban new Windows purchases and get Linux instead, I now am
> spending the weekend greatfull that a company like Microsoft provides an
> operating system that actually works right out of the box.
>
> As my tolerance for pain increases in the following weeks I'll be back here
> asking more questions as I enter week 6 of trying to get Red Hat Linux
> Samba to work, as well as CD burning, scanning, and font adjustment.
>
> Robert

Robert

Suse has changed their system lay out alot.
Once installed, you need to go to the directory /etc/sysconfig/network
and look through it. See if you find the config file. Open in an editor
and see if the modem line is in there.

Hope this will get you started with Suse 8.0 if you desire to try again.

Patience with any distro is golden!