[PLUG] Warning About SuSE 8

Fedor G. Pikus fedorp at wv.mentorg.com
Mon Apr 29 15:50:11 UTC 2002

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Mark Morgan wrote:
> Robert wrote:
>
> > I think that SuSE 8.0 hates my modem so I've fired it for now.  To further
> > complicate the issue my modem settings in Red Hat 7.2 are /ttyS4 and in the
> > previous SuSE 7.2 were /ttyS2.  I tried every default setting listed today
> A huge help would be what modem do you have and what scanner?
>
> -Mark
This is likely an indication of some hardware misconfiguration: the modem is
not properly configured to be either com2 or com4, but a bit of both. This
may also explain why Linux refuses to work with it: while Windows is often
very forgiving of sloppy hardware, Linux insists that everything is done by
the book. I've seen Linux detect all kinds of hardware misconfiguration
which were unnoticed by Windows. Under Windows, the misconfigured piece of
hardware just works. Sometimes as you add more hardware you get into problems,
like IRQs which should be available really are not.

--
                                  Fedor G. Pikus
Mentor Graphics Corporation         | Phone: (503) 685-4857