[PLUG] Setting up a mail server

john at meissen.org john at meissen.org
Mon Apr 29 18:00:16 UTC 2002

rshepard at appl-ecosys.com said:
>   I'm doing a lot of reading before replacing sendmail with postfix
> and initiating my mail server locally. Once the primary mail server is
> here, I assume that I do not need to run either POP3 or IMAP. Correct?
> However, if the server here is down, then I need to use POP3 or IMAP
> to retrieve mail stored on the secondary mail server at our ISP.
> Correct?

Depends on how the ISP has their system configured. Generally it's a
bad idea to have mail stored in more than one location. If they
don't have access to the same mail spool secondary mail servers are
usually configured to accept mail to store and forward once the primary
server comes back online.

john-