[PLUG] Warning About SuSE 8

Robert RobertsLinuxPosts at CorralCreek.com
Mon Apr 29 19:33:19 UTC 2002

I don't know what 'dmesg' and 'lspci' are or where to find them.

Since I can't do anything with the SuSE installation, I don't know how I
could copy it or send it anyway.  Maybe I could sent it from the working Red
Hat installation, but I'm not sure if that would be helpful.

Thanks
Robert

"Brian Horan" <bhoran at hexdev.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1020068783.12144.plug at lists.pdxlinux.org...
> Is there anyway you can send me (off-list perhaps) a copy of the output of
> 'dmesg'? and also whether the modem is an internal or external modem?
> and maybe even the output of 'lspci'? and a number 4 super-sized with a
diet
> coke?
>
> I'd like to help.
> -Brian
>

> On Monday 29 April 2002 03:08 am, you wrote:
> > I think that SuSE 8.0 hates my modem so I've fired it for now.  To
further
> > complicate the issue my modem settings in Red Hat 7.2 are /ttyS4 and in
the
> > previous SuSE 7.2 were /ttyS2.  I tried every default setting listed
today
> > and none worked.  It reminded me of the first few times I installed
Linux
> > (on a previous computer) and couldn't get the modem to work because it
was
> > a winmodem.
> >
> > I might try installing it on my Dell, which liked Red Hat 7.2, but spit
at
> > every other version I tried.  If all else fails I will just stick to Red
> > Hat.  The main advantage to these other Linux versions is they teach me
> > something new to do in Red Hat that I would not otherwise have known.
> >
> > I checked out a SuSE newsgroup today and didn't see anyone else with a
> > modem problem. I'll wait a few days to see if anyone finds something
wrong
> > with the default install.  It's just too strange that it does not detect
> > the modem at all.
> >
> > Robert
> >

> > "Mike De La Mater" <mikedela at ipns.com> wrote in message
> > news:mailman.1020031583.28096.plug at lists.pdxlinux.org...
> >
> > > I'm sorry to hear about your poor ecperineces with Linux. It took me
> > > quite

> > > while to get any good at installing it, too. There is a lot of things
> > > that
> >
> > good
> >
> > > installations depend on, and I made/make them too. The sesktop is the
> >
> > hardest
> >
> > > place to make it install well. I have had great experiences with it on
> >
> > laptop
> >
> > > even, so I know the later distros can go well.
> > >
> > > If you've got specific problems, please be sure to post your issues
right

> > away,
> >
> > > and that could reduce the frustration factor, it does for me. Once in
> >
> > while I
> >
> > > get trashed by someone who knows that the answer is in the man page,
but

> > not
> >
> > > often.
> > >
> > > Hang in there, it's worth it. Not only do you get a great OS, but it's
> >
> > free, M$
> >
> > > doesn"t profit from it AND you'll be able to help others switch over
> > > an
> >
> > OS
> >
> > > that doesn't require you to just shut it all down to see how fast the
> >
> > machine
> >
> > > will reboot...
> > >
> > > Mike

> > right.