[PLUG] Looking for a good DSL provider

Don Buchholz don at truedisk.com
Mon Apr 29 21:32:42 UTC 2002

I use EasyStreet (the "enthusiast" package).

  http://www.easystreet.com
  http://www.easystreet.com/services/easydsl/enthusiast.com

They will probably not win the "low bid", but the level of service
(since ~1998-99 for me), has been excellent.  They do an excellent
job of filtering spam from my e-mail.  I do an annual purchase and
get a discount (10%[?]).

I guess the part that I like, is that EasyStreet has a local/regional
mission.  Headquarters are here.  Customer service is here.  And
when I call, I find I'm often already on a firstname basis with the
(competent!) person handling my call.  AFAIK, they do have a low
turnover rate.

One caveat -- I've heard that *all* the local ISP's (EasyStreet,
Aracnet, coho.net, Integra, etc.) have been having problems with
DSL circuits to/from Verizon lately.  The service disruptions are
generally only a few minutes, but aggravating.  EasyStreet's record
of these can be seen at http://support.easystreet.com/System/

The cynical side of me notes these problems crept up at the same time
I starting receiving all the snail-mail promotional materials for
Verizons combined DSL/ISP service.  Methinks the big company is
doing their best to sabotague the local guys.  :-(

- Don