[PLUG] Re: [PLUG-ANNOUNCE] ANNOUNCEMENT: May PLUG Meeting

Miller, Jeremy JMILLER at ci.albany.or.us
Tue Apr 30 17:03:52 UTC 2002

Speaking of your clue-filter, I just thought of something.

A vast majority of resumes in some organizations are screened (or
pre-screened) by human resources types who don't have a clue.  They tend to
pick up on buzzwords, common program names, and if they've ever heard of X
at all, they've probably heard it as the common butchering we all recognize
as "X Windows".  ("Uh... hey, Bob!  You ever heard of X/X11?  Me neither.
Sounds like porn or something.  Forget this dude." "X Window System... that
means everything from 3.1 to XP, right?")

So to get past the clueless HR types, you almost have to dumb down the
resume to things they've heard of (not to mention braindump certifications,
etc) to keep them from tossing you in the "don't bother calling" file.

But once you get past them, you might be screened by someone who DOES have a
clue.  Who might read the "dumbed down for HR" bits and think you're a ditz.

That's an ugly two steps. 1) get it past someone with no clue  2) make it
through a clue filter.  Aack!  That could be tricky.

I guess that is a good argument for knowing a thing or two about the place
you are sending it to, and tailoring your resume for for the most likely
type of person to do the screening.  (And just cross your fingers in the
case of the two-step gauntlet... everyone else has to make it through
somehow too.)

Anyway... of course X Windows is incorrect.  And perhaps warrants pointing
out.  But do you really care THAT much?  Or do you just have THAT MANY
resumes to go through?  :)

Jeremy