[PLUG] Methods of secure SQL Database data exchange over Internet?

Alex Daniloff alex at daniloff.com
Tue Apr 30 21:53:47 UTC 2002

Hello Linux folkz,
I need to setup Web based MySQL database service over Internet.
Remote clients should be able to connect to database port 3306 and
perform secure data exchange (queries, reads and writes).
Are there any methods to perform such data exchanges in a most secure
manner?
I was thinking about keeping port 3306 open for remote connections
'cause Mysql has a very good (per host, per user, per database, per
table, per row based) security mechanisms.
But in this case the use of firewall on a separate box is purposeless.
It it the same as having database server and firewall on the same box.
May be you can point me to other more secure solutions?
Is it possible to use ssl for database connections? I couldn't find a
decent answer on this question.
Thank you in advance for any advises or sources of information.
Alex