[PLUG] Installing postfix broke X -- really!

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Apr 30 21:46:35 UTC 2002

  I had a spare half-hour this morning before a meeting so I foolishly went
on with replacing sendmail with postfix. Wasn't *that* simple, primarily
because I had to modify the spec file then rebuild the binary package before
installing it. Anyway, it now runs 'cause I'm again receiving and sending
mail.

  However, and this is very strange, something clobbered X. Before leaving
for my meeting I tried printing something (from WordPerfect via CUPS) and
nothing went to the printer. So, I tried to examine the print queue and I
couldn't. Then, I tried using the xfce lock icon to lock the screen and that
failed, too. Here's what I see when I try to manually run xlock:

[rshepard at salmo ~]$ xlock
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xlock: unable to open display .

  I admit to a vast ignorance of The X Window System in all its glory. I've
no idea what the above is telling me to do, nor why it happened. All I did
was 'rpm -e sendmail --nodeps' so it killed fetchmail, too.

  Please tell me what the above message means and how to fix what I
inadvertently broke. After I get this fixed, I'll write to Aracnet about
adding another MX record in their DNS so mail comes directly down here. I'll
post another message asking what and where to put spam blocks:
/etc/postfix/main.cf, header_checks, or somewhere else.

Thanks -- as usual,