Offtopic copyright stuff (Was; Re: [PLUG] Microsoft's smell of desperation | LinuxWorld (fwd))

Tyler F. Creelan creelan at engr.orst.edu
Thu Aug 1 07:48:28 UTC 2002

If they play it right, the RIAA could actually use this as a stick and
carrot to get people to buy more of their music. If they set up an online
music service, for example, subscribers could be offered immunity from
network attacks. Conversely, non-subscribers could be targeted with
attacks since it's more probable they are infringing on copyright in
one form or another.

The RIAA might even offer a blanket-type license, covering a wide range of
media, and it could be argued that people are infringing copyright by not
subscribing to the blanket service, just as MS argued in the
Portland schools case that all computers should have an MS license
regardless of their make or model.

Incidentally, this article by professor Siva Vaidhyanathan on the
interaction between higher education and copyright is good reading:

http://chronicle.com/free/v48/i47/47b00701.htm

Tyler